Pages

Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself

Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself

Sunday 2 March 2014

Right place, Right time - Kelis was here!


If the right place is here and the right time is now, why wait till tomorrow to make the most of what we have in front of us?

As a Londoner, there is nothing I love more than a little bit of randomness to put some zing into my week and keep me on my toes. For this to happen, all I need is to be prepared for the unexpected, and with these three essential items I'm all set:
  1. iPhone at the ready (with enough battery life and storage space to get you through the night)
  2. (At least one)  friend who is up for anything and on call
  3. The right shoes (girls and guys you know exactly what I mean here, UGGs/trainers have the potential of messing up a whole game plan)
So armed with these essentials I headed to the renowned Troy Bar in Shoreditch this Tuesday for their weekly open mic night to get a little taste of the best of London’s unsigned musical talent and yummy Caribbean food. Please note: If you do plan to take a trip to this cosy nook of musical heaven, I must advise that you to come with an empty stomach as the food is not to be missed!

Having been to Troy Bar several times, I thought I knew what to expect, and so when I entered this packed-to-the-brim dimly lit bar and shimmied my way through the sea of people in search of my sister and friend, you can imagine my surprise when I literally bump into the gorgeous KELIS! 

Me with my new BFF, Kelis

Did her milkshake bring all the boys to the yard, you ask? Well luckily you can be the judge as shortly after my arrival she took to the stage and blessed us with this impromptu performance of "Acapella"...


So it's confirmed, Kelis is back! and although she didn't share anything from her new album entitled Food, which marries her two loves of music and food (girl after my own heart!) and is more of a rootsy soul-funk vibe, her husky vocals, eclectic style and authentically carefree spirit tell me that this is likely to be something that our ears will thoroughly enjoy. Her first single, "Jerk Ribs" a raw melodic funk fusion will get you acquainted with a side of Kelis that we haven't seen before and will give you a  taste of her beautifully unexpected new flavour...

I hope you love it as much as I do! 


Tahlia

Xx

1 comment: